Located on property once owned by Supreme Court Chief Justice (1801-1835) John Marshall and his brother James Markham Marshall, and containing the historic Marshall Family cemetery, Confluence Virginia is intended to be a civic minded and environmentally conscious mixed-use community proposed to address both local needs and the Community’s long-term planning objectives - from community parks, greenways, walking and biking trails and environmental stewardship to transportation improvements, economic vitality and jobs.
Chapter 175 Zoning Ordinance Amendment
R1-A Proffer Amendment (Ch. 175 - Zoning), June 27, 2015 & (Resubmitted) August 24, 2017
Neighborhood Street Design, Ch. 148 Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance (SLDO), October 16, 2015
R1-A Ordinance Amendments (Ch. 175 - Zoning), Lots & Setbacks, June 27, 2015
Boundary Line Adjustment (BLA), Town/County/COLG, September 20, 2012
Historical Site: James Markham Marshall
In 1779, at age 15, James Markham Marshall joined the continental army as a private, and that year became the captain of the first Virginia Regiment. In 1781, as a lieutenant in Alexander Hamilton’s regiment he led what proved to be a decisive attack, called “the forlorn hope”, under heavy British fire at the siege of Yorktown.
The British army would surrender at Yorktown three days later, prompting the British government to negotiate an end to the conflict. The 'Conflict' would end 2 years later.
In 1795 James Markham Marshall married Hester Morris, daughter of Robert Morris, the great patriot and 'Financier' of the American Revolution. … After their marriage George Washington appointed James Minister to France and while James and Hester were abroad on their honeymoon, Marshall negotiated the release of the Marquis de Lafayette for Washington.
The couple remained abroad for two more years and their two eldest sons were born while the family was in England, however, because of her patriotism, Hester Marshall refused to give birth on English soil and arrangements were made to deliver the children on an American ship in the English Channel.
In 1797, James Markham Marshall, his brother in-law, and his brother, John James Marshall, purchased the property from an heir of Lord Fairfax. James’ family took up residence on an 8,000-acre tract and built a house which they called Happy Creek after the stream of that name.
Learn More: C. Ballard, "James Markham Marshall remembered & honored", W.C.R., Nov. 2016
Copyright © 2019 Front Royal Limited Partnership - All Rights Reserved.